****Disclaimer! If you get slightly queasy from the word blood or the description of blood I would advise you to NOT read this post!*****
My poor little Allie has had a rough start in this world I've decided. A couple days ago we were thrilled to see that two little chunks of her belly button had fallen off, and that the rest looked a little loose. I hate the umbilical cord, and wanted it off ASAP!
Well, last night I changed Allie before settling her down to feed. At that time her umbilical cord still was loose, but completely in tact. As I began to feed Allie she got more and more agitated. I couldn't figure out what was going on. She isn't a fabulous eater, but this just wasn't like her. Finally, I smelt some doo-doo, so I thought maybe that was bothering her. I decided to change her and then try and feed her again.
I layed Allie on her blanket and undid her onesie. Upon lifting up her shirt I started freaking out a little. Her umbilical cord had indeed come off most of the way and was bleeding. Bleeding isn't supposed to happen! I called Russ in to look. He agreed with me that it didn't look normal, so we called the pediatrician. (I know, I know! A little bit of an overly concerned mom move, but my baby was bleeding!)
The pediatrician assured us that she was okay. She probably had snagged it on something and ripped a bit of it off. He told us to put some gauze on it with a bandaid. By this time Allie was into the stage where she has screamed so loud her voice has gone hoarse stage, and she had huge crocodile tears running down her face. We bandaged her up and she seemed to feel better about life.
Well, this morning I was starting a diaper change when I noticed the stump was gone! Yeah! But when I went to take the gauze and band aid off it was stuck on with congealed blood. We tried to using alcohol to soften the blood but that didn't work. We resigned ourselves to the fact that it would now have to stay on until the blood fell off! Just as I was starting to tape down the bandaid again Allie gave a jerk, and off it came! She didn't cry much, thank goodness! Hopefully things will get better for Allie from here on out! I am tired of seeing my little girl suffer!
3 comments:
poor baby! and poor parents... its hard to see your baby scream like that and to bleed! i hope she has a much better rest of a start out in life from here on out! ;0)
Poor little girl. Coming intothis world can be rough sometime. I can't wait to see her in person!
Don't you know... you rip bandages off really fast, and it doesn't hurt as bad. ;)
Poor kid. I hate the stump, it is yucky. I hope you didn't keep it.
Post a Comment